SD reader or Ultimate 1541?

General discussion about the website, forums, or other TPUG business.
davidcalgary29

SD reader or Ultimate 1541?

Post by davidcalgary29 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Ok...I've done some web searching but am still confused. I don't have access to a drive (I know! The heresy!) but want to hook up my 64C and play some games as well as possibly do some BBSing with a WiFi unit. Why would I need an Ultimate 1541 II, for instance, instead of a SD reader?

Ian Colquhoun

Re: SD reader or Ultimate 1541?

Post by Ian Colquhoun » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Commodore disk drives were computers themselves - they not only had the drive unit, but they had a 6502 processor and a small amount of RAM on board. This is the reason that various speed loaders and copy protections worked at all - they would upload code and execute it on the drive itself.

The 1541 Ultimate 2 is a 1541 emulator - it emulates the whole device, CPU, RAM and all. Therefore it is capable of running most copy protection code and is very compatible with speeder carts and other fast loaders. sd2iec based devices do not emulate the CPU/RAM and are not capable of running drive-side code. They will generally not work well with disk images that are copy protected, nor will they work with custom fast load code. The firmware recognizes a few common fast load protocols and emulates those, but not all by any means.

Does that help?
Realms of Mystery BBS (currently offline)
bbs.pipesup.ca 6400

davidcalgary29

Re: SD reader or Ultimate 1541?

Post by davidcalgary29 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:37 pm

It does. Thanks. :)