Help to repair my PETS

Technical questions about any Commodore computer, peripheral, or related issue.
BeachPET

Help to repair my PETS

Post by BeachPET » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Hello all.. Finally after years of hoarding PETS, my kids have grown and I can tinker with them. Im looking to get assistance with getting at least one running, as my 30th HS reunion is coming up and we had PETS in 79 my freshman year. Im looking to surprise my class mates. So the first one ive pulled out is a 8032 with the 6809 board in it.. really making it a SuperPET with a 8032 skin.

This machine boots up.. chirps and gives me a screen full of the same type of block character. The cursor blinks and is located right where it should be under what would be the Ready prompt. I can type on the keyboard, characters do not change but the cursor does move. I can also hit return and have the cursor drop a line. So thats telling me alot is running. There are two rom chips in sockets.. i pulled them.. scuffed the legs with a emery board and reseated them.. No Change. If i disconnect the ribbon cable from the Main PCB to the 6809 board, the set wont boot.. So I know thats linked to a start up process. Im going to remove that board and remove it's chips. there are alot socketed there. Im polling now before I dive in for some insight if this problem has been reported. Also is there a list of common Failure's and reliable repairs-resolutions anywhere ?

I 4 other PETs im going to wanna get live.. a 2001 with some kind of weird eprom board in the rear of the chassis and its missing some Roms. A 4016, 4032, 8032 (just regular,not like this one) and a real SuperPET.

I have a few drives and such.. So.. Not its time to Bring my PETS to life and Start my own PETTING ZOO !!

any and all help will be appreciated.

Thank you

Mark Daily.

Leif Bloomquist

Re: Help to repair my PETS

Post by Leif Bloomquist » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:31 am

Where are you located?

BeachPET

Post by BeachPET » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:30 pm

Im in NY.. Near Syracuse .. about 4 hours from Toronto

BeachPET

Post by BeachPET » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Hello all, just a update. I found a donor clicklet PET in Michigan. The case was dented, repainted black and the owner of it said the tube was bad. after seeing pictures the tube was cracked, probably the neck cracked and blew it out. Anyway, I was able to buy the main pcb, chicklet keyboard and datacassete for $25.00. Parts arrived today and the board didnt work. However between it and my current board, swapping out two roms and 3 pieces of memory I have a PET that boots up. Both my keyboard and the keyboard I got have bad keys, so now im working on cleaning them.

Interestingly my PET came with a Ram upgrade board mounted in rear of cabinet which brings my PET to 32k (im wondering if I fill the rest of the Ram slots with 6550's and the Ram board if I'll get more then 32k .. Will the PET address all that ram ?

My PET also came with a Skyles electric works keyboard adaptor so you can tuck in a real Keyboard piggy back to the chicklet board and type for real.

And I have some other thing called a "THE BASIC SWITCH" which allows you to jump it in loaded with newer Roms and make the Rev 1 PET Run Origonal Roms or Ver 2.0 Unfortunately I have it outside the PET with no instructions on how to plug it in and use it.. So I need some research help if anyone knows of this device. It was made by Small System Services Greensboro NC I found a small review of it in a Compute magazine archive on the internet fall 1979 issue 1 page 87

I'll keep you all posted as I go.

PS: where can I upload pictures ??

Mark